Sunday, November 11, 2007

Come Out, Come Out, Wherever You Are




When visiting the Fitzwilliam Museum in Cambridge, UK this past summer I noticed a postcard in the gift shop of William Blake's The Tyger. I immediately realized this must be one of the highlights of their collection. I was on a mission - to see Blake's famous poem and watercolor illustration of the tiger in person. Based upon the map, I found the galleries where it should have been on display. But, this delicate work of art was no where to be found. I looked under all the pieces of red velvet overlays protecting the works on paper from the light in their display cases. Still the illusive tiger alluded me. I asked one of the guards and she told me to follow her. My excitement was building as I followed in her footsteps. She wasn't able to find it either. She then determined it wasn't on view but offered me the possibility of viewing it on their digital database collection. I must admit, I was disappointed because like a collector wants to purchase an authentic object, I wanted to see the real thing. I was also told I could make an appointment, but like most tourists I was pressed for time. As a result of this experience, I began to contemplate the issues of digitization, conservation and preservation, the visitor's museum experience and museum attendance which all seem interconnected.

For more on the Fitwilliam Museum's collection go to: www.fitzmuseum.cam.ac.uk

1 comment:

Melanie said...

I think museums should make every effort to let the public know if a major object is not on view, on their website, brochure, at the front of the museum. Objects do need to be taken off display every now and then but I think the museum should let the public know what's being taken away, why and for how long. While the digitized image may not substitute for the real thing, I think it is a very good second.

I think you have presented a lot of the debates surrounding digitization from the positive resource it provides teachers, students, and researchers, along with those who may never be able to travel to the physical museum.I was also engrossed with the Japanese postcard collection on the MFA's website and I have also lost track of time looking at some of their other online collections. But you also present the negative side which is traveling to a specific museum to see a specific object and not having it available. It seems in that instance nothing will do except the real thing. It seems that since this is a relatively new experience for museums there is still room for improvement and further debate.